Complex Illness Care:
“The Hub of the Wheel of all your medical care”
With 27 years of experience, Dr. Donahue diagnoses and treats common and complex medical and mental health illnesses, provide patient members with timely, and individualized medical care ranging from the unexpected acute illness visit to regular interval visits for chronic illness care.
Our more limited roster of patients allows time to combine excellence in conventional, integrative, and functional medicine, often resulting in coalescing multiple medical perspectives into new medical solutions.
Life-threatening and severe illnesses are best treated with a primary care and specialty physician team. Dr. Donahue selects specialists based on their knowledge leadership in their field, as well as their proven ability to connect and care.
Should a medical emergency or hospitalization occur, Dr. Donahue will work closely with the hospitalist team, advocate for your optimal coordinated care, and provide a smooth transition back home.
Diseases and Conditions treated at Personal Health MD:
- Heart Attack Risk: Advanced cholesterol lipid analysis, cardiac inflammation and genetic markers. Nutrition as medicine, targeted supplements, and lifestyle treatments, Treat with medications when needed. Statin myalgia genetic risk analysis
- Hypertension: Lifestyle and natural approaches can sometimes reduce medication need. When needed, treat with medication combinations for least side effects
- CHF (Congestive Heart Failure): Work as team with cardiologist to optimize heart strength complementing treatment with natural approaches
- IBS: (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) This comprises a significant part of our practice. Advanced functional testing of blood and stool to decipher underlying food sensitivity triggers, nutritional imbalances, intestinal permeability, and neurological triggers to IBS. Treatments are personalized and natural, and can help many people when nothing previously helped
- IBD: (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis – Work as team with gastroenterologist to support medication treatment with more natural approaches
- GERD: By treating underlying imbalances resulting in acid stomach/reflux, some patients are able to wean off proton pump inhibitors such as Prilosec thereby improving digestion of food
- Asthma: Look for underlying inflammatory causes. Personal inhaler treatment plans
- Rhinitis: Look for underlying inflammatory causes, commonly environmental or gastrointestinal immune response
- Infections: Treatment and prevention of frequent sinus and lung infections
- Prostate Health: Prostate cancer optimal screening algorithm
- Kidney Stone treatment and prevention
- Recurrent Vaginal Yeast Infections: Treatment and vaginal flora re-balancing
- Male Erectile Disorder: Treat both medical and emotional aspects
- Female menopausal hormonal deficiency: Diagnosis and treatment options benefit/risk
- Male Low Testosterone: Diagnosis and treatment options based on benefit/risk analysis
- Thyroid: Diagnosing and treating low level “subclinical” hypothyroidism fatigue balancing T4 and T3 activity
- Diabetes: Lifestyle plan to put Adult Type II diabetes into remission
- Persistent Fatigue: Multi-factorial approach including assessing for mitochondrial disease
- Migraine Headache: Integrative treatment and prevention
- Muscle Tension Headaches: Muscle relaxation approaches and trigger point injections
- Depression: Genetic testing for optimal psychopharmacology, Assessing for immune inflammation “brain fog”, lifestyle treatment plan, vetted therapist referrals
- Anxiety, OCD, ADHD, Eating Disorders. Experienced with diagnosis and medication and natural treatment plans
- Neuropathies: Carpal tunnel, Sciatica treatment and prevention
- Sleep Disorders: Sleep apnea prevention, Insomnia – Sleep CBT and sleep strategies
- Dementia: Rule out causes of pseudodementia. Optimize treatment and in home support